About 50 people (Faculty and Staff members, PhD students, Post-docs, …) from both the Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Rennes and the Université de Rennes 1, are involved in the activities of the group. Its research activity is focused on energy-efficient, clean and safe processes for sustainable production, pollution treatment and its evaluation.
People and environment protection through the development of new processes for air, water and soil treatment and environmentally friendly separation processes for green chemistry and sustainable production. These studies involved coupling different unit operations, studying pollutants chemical and biological reaction mechanis
- The treatment of industrial, urban and agricultural effluents, the elimination of refractory compounds in waste water and soils so as to reduce the human activities footprint.
- Processes for the reduction or degradation of organic trace pollutants: the reduction of gaseous VOC emissions, environmental contaminants removal from water (pesticides, endocrine disruptors and pharmaceutical residues…) and indoor air (odors, formaldehyde…)
- Energy efficient separation through membranes processes for the recovery and/or recycling of high added value compounds like catalysts or key compounds in chemical and food industry.
- The development of analytical tools for trace organic compounds detection and quantification in complex matrices. Theses studies include the fate of organic pollutant and their by-products in both the environment and treatment facilities.
- The valorization of food industry by-products and renewable resources for bio-based materials and high added-value products. Bioprocesses are developed for the production of different bioproducts including alcohols from algae, and food-grade biodegradable polymeric materials safe for food use.
Process to protect the environment and population
A large variety of processes are studied and developed aiming at the removal or degradation of targeted compounds (trace level, refractory, toxic, …) in real conditions (complex mixtures and effluents, non-ideal behaviors …) in both water and air.
Transfers and reactions at the interfaces
Réactivité des molécules adsorbées
Accessibilité des molécules dans la porosité de matériaux pour les procédés d’oxydation avancée
Mécanismes de sorption/redox aux interfaces minéral/eau
Impact des hétérogénéités chimiques et physiques sur la réactivité interfaciale
Réactivité de surface sous conditions de flux continu vs. réactivité en conditions statiques
Interactions électrostatiques en milieu hydro-alcoolique
Etude cinétique par absorption réactive basée sur l’utilisation d’un réacteur à cellules agitées
Mécanismes d’oxydation radicalaire (à partir de l’identification d’intermédiaires réactionnels et de leur suivi au cours des électrolyses 2)
Organic trace analysis
The team develops analytical methods for the analysis of organic trace compounds in air, water or soil. High sensitivities are achieved by an appropriate combination of purification techniques, chromatographic separation and selective mass spectrometry.
Numerical modeling and simulation are implemented from the microscopic scale to the industrial scale in order to describe and rationalize interfacial phenomena (liquid/solid, gas/solid or gas/liquid interfaces) and to better understand transfer mechanisms in various physicochemical environments.
Research activities focusing on materials lie in the fields of development and behavior of adsorbents, photocataluic material, functionalized electrodes for detoxification of target molecules, catalytic membranesiron oxide nanoparticles for oxidation of organic compounds in soils, bio-based and/or biodegradable barrier materials
Sustainable process and biomass valorization
Different approach are studied to devevelop sustainable process and biomass valorization.
- advanced biological treament and process coupling
- membrane aggeing and cleaning
- agroindustries coproducts valorization
- marine extracts valorization
- selective extraction of interesting molecules
Staff & facilities
The Chemistry and Process Engineering Team is equipped with various analytical systems to perform qualitative and quantitative analysis on numerous sample type in order to follow the the targeted contaminants in process.
The Chemistry and Process Engineering Team is equipped with a number of pilot-scale units including absorption, adsorption, biological processes, oxidization and membrane processes.